Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Travel Adventures pt. 4

I haven't updated in a couple days, mainly because not much has happened.



Tomorrow, after a brief class in the morning, I will began the drive home! I'm pretty excited to finally come home, I feel like I have been gone forever.



The class I am currently in is called, "Urban Church Planting." Urban means city. Honestly, I have never really thought about planting a church in the city. I have always liked big cities. I have even said I would like to live in a downtown area for a year or two...but not for a long time.



But, this class has been challenging. Did you know that worldwide there is now more people who live in the city than outside the city. This means there are more urban people than suburban or country people. Yet, in nearly ever major city in America, if you were to plot all the churches on a map, you would end up with what looks like a donut. There simply is not many churches in the downtown area. For example, there is about 1 million people moving to the city each week in the world. How do we expect to reach all those people if there aren't a lot of churches in those cities? Well, it goes to show that we need churches in the city.



Anyways, there are a lot of thoughts running through my head right now...and I'm not sure if means much of anything..but maybe it does.



So, I guess next time I write I will hopefully be safely back at home in Salem!

2 comments:

Kyle and Kari said...

Thanks for the update! See you on Thursday I believe. Can't wait to shoot some hoops and talk about what you learned in class.

Anonymous said...

Bryan come back to your korean children! We miss you!