Thursday, January 8, 2009

Travel Adventures pt.3

This isn't as much of an adventure as it is a thought.

Yesterday morning, I got up a little bit earlier to go into town and get some Starbucks to start the day. Like normal, I ordered myself a white chocolate mocha and returned to school for my all day class. In the middle of class I noticed something that was written on my Starbucks cup. I guess they put quotes on many of their cups....I just don't usually pay attention. However, this time I did. Here is what it said, it was spoken by a guy named James Brown who is a sportscaster for FOX Sports.

"I have faith. Faith in our wondrous capacity for hope and good, love and trust, healing and forgiveness. Faith in the blessing of our infinite faith in the blessing of our infinite ability to wonder, question, pray, feel, think and learn. I have faith. Faith in the infinite possibilities of the human spirit."

At first glance, it almost feels heart warming. But, as smooth and feel-goody as it may be, he is placing his faith in the wrong thing.

He says twice that he has faith. But I question what it is he is putting his faith in. He ends by saying that his faith is "in the infinite possibilities of the human spirit."

Does anyone else find that interesting?

Does anyone else find that revealing?

It reveals a wrong understanding of life. I believe that the "human spirit" is something that is incredible. God created us with an incredible ability to wonder, question, pray, feel, think and learn. It is incredible because we were created in the nature of God. The problem lies in putting your faith in the human spirit. It is a failure to put your faith in the God who gives you the ability to love and do good. It is a a failure to put your faith in the God who is our hope and healer.

You see, he is missing the point. He is placing his faith in something that was created, rather than the creater.

Everyone puts their faith in something. I know you do.

People put their faith in education, relationships, jobs, money, and prestige assuming that all these things will bring fulfillment.

Others put their faith in love, hope, and joy without recognizing that God alone is love, gives hope, and provides joy.

Faith is a tough subject to understand. Yet, we all have it. What do you put your faith in? My faith is not found on a Starbucks cup but is written on the sunset, seen in mountains, and painted on the stars in the sky. My faith is in the creator of the universe.




No comments: