Thursday, January 8, 2009

Travel Adventures pt.2

I have finally made it to the last day of my first class! By tonight I will have complete four days of all day classes. Class starts at 8:30 and ends at 5:30 each day. So each day seems to drag on forever! However, I'm taking a class called missions, which has been pretty interesting. I have a lot of thoughts running through my head, but I'll write later with those thoughts.

For now, I'll tell you about my night, last night. I did something I have never done before. Immediately after class, I went with three of my friends down to the Golden Gate Bridge. Our plan was to park and walk across the bridge. So, as the sun was just about to disappear over the bay, we began our journey. It was absolutely freezing. It was a pretty cool experience...but a little scary. Like I have said before, I don't like heights. Turns out, the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty high up.

Here's the interesting thing, there are many places on the bridge that have a phone that says, "please use for crisis counseling." Interestingly, the Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most popular places in the world to commit suicide. They say that someone jumps every two weeks! That is absolutely astonishing. I also read that people travel from all over the world just jump and die. Frequently they find abandoned rental cars in the parking lots around the bridge.

I can't help but wonder about these people. I wonder what it must have been like to make that journey from their house to the bridge. How many people did they run into that never took the time to talk with them. I don't claim to understand suicide. But it must be lonely. As lonely as one might be, the bridge is actually a busy place. there are constantly cars driving, bikers riding, and people walking across.

Maybe it's because I am in a class about missionaries but I wonder if in their lifetime anyone ever took the time to share Christ. I wonder if their life would have been different if someone had told them. Maybe someone did and they ignored it...but maybe they never heard.

Well, I don't know what to make of it...but to say it is tragic that someone would jump.

After walking the 1.6 miles across the bridge, we decided to run back. It was really cold and we were pretty hungry, so we decided to run all the way back across the bridge. It was a crazy idea and kinda funny to picture. Four of us, dressed in somewhat nice clothes, raced across the bridge...getting strange looks by everyone we passed. Finally, we made it, tired and sweaty. We got back in the car and headed back to the dorms for another night of studying.

No comments: