Monday, February 9, 2009

Florida pt. 3

Over the past few days I have heard some pretty incredible speakers. It is overwhelming at times. I feel like I have already gotten my money's worth...and I still have a whole day left tomorrow.

I have heard men who have been pastors for over 40 years. Pastors who have huge churches and pastors of small churches. I have heard seminary presidents, Christian leaders, and publishing company executives. I have heard messages on a variety of subjects, but common theme binds them altogether.

Passion.

Passion for Christ. Passion to know Christ and make his name known.

The thing is, none of them said that was their passion. I could just see it. I wonder if people see that in me? Their enthusiasm is contagious. The important thing is, passion isn't something you can make up. Sure, you can pretend, but most people will see right through that. What our world needs is passionate believers.

The conclusion that I have come to is that in order to be passionate about something you have to become a disciple of it.

One of the speakers quoted Soren Kierkegaard who said,
There was a time when one could almost be afraid to call himself a disciple
of Christ because it meant so much. Now we can do it with complete ease
because it means nothing at all.

Maybe that is why so many Christians lack passion for their savior...we have so few real disciples. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the freedom of religion we experience in America. Yet, that freedom allows for mediocre Christians.

My point, I want to be so passionate about my savior that everyone knows I am a child of the king. That doesn't happen by me yelling louder...it happens as I follow Christ and become his disciple. Being a disciple means something.

It means to take up my cross and deny myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang! That quote is super deep.